Molasses cookies are the perfect old fashioned cookie! Looking for the perfect spicy soft molasses cookies recipe? This holiday cookie recipe is absolute perfection. It has a crispy, crinkled top, a chewy soft center, loads of molasses, cinnamon, and ginger, and it goes well with milk!
Soft Molasses Cookies
One last Christmas cookie recipe before the holiday season is all over with. This molasses cookies recipe is a recipe that I found in my mother-in-law's recipe collection the last time I was down in North Carolina. I made it, tweaked it, and made it again. I added a little more sugar and ginger to my recipe and made a couple more minor adjustments. The cookies have a store-bought feel, but taste homemade.
Wesley always gives me the business because I can't help but tweak recipes. I do it to my own even. I was making a cake for my friend and used my Peppermint Oreo Crunch Cake recipe, but I couldn't leave it alone. I had to add peppermint crunch pieces which did not pan out the way I had thought it would. I ended up just tossing the cake because the large amount of peppermint crunch made the cake better and hard.
Tomorrow I'm going to start my baking for the holiday cookies. I've been wanting to all week, but holding off because I wanted to have some left for Santa. I know Lucian would be incredibly disappointed with me if I didn't have cookies to put out especially since they are now buddies. I wish I would have gotten a video of Lucian's face when he got a letter in the mail from the North Pole. His eyes were HUGE. He said I hope he tells me to keep up the good work. Sure enough, that Santa had told him to keep up the good work and made Lucian's entire week.
The poor guy needs a little pick-me-up this week. He's dragging himself to school for a fun filled week with a nasty cough and runny nose. I took him to the doctor on Monday and he hooked us up with an antibiotic for what he thought was strep. I'm now thinking Lucian has the croup with the deep chest rattling cough he has going on. I have the cool mist humidifier running next to him to help and have noticed a difference. Thank goodness.
Molasses Cookie Recipe
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup butter room temperature
- ¾ cup shortening
- 1 cup molasses
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- 1 T. baking soda
- 41/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the sugar, butter, and shortening. Mix on medium until light and fluffy.
- Add in the molasses and beat until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add in the water and egg and beat until thoroughly incorporated.
- Add in the salt, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, and flour. Mix on low until most of the flour is incorporated. Turn hand mixer on medium and finish beating the flour into the dough.
- Lightly flour a clean counter. Roll the dough out to a ¼ in thickness and cut out using a round cookie cutter. I think mine was a 3 or 3.5 inch circle.
- Cut the circles out as close as you can to each other to save on rolling it out and incorporating extra flour into the dough. Place 6 cookies on the prepared baking pan.
- Place into the oven and bake for 12 minutes or until done.
- Let cool for five minutes on the pan and then move to a wire rack or paper towel to finish cooling.
- Store in an airtight container.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)
If you love molasses, check out these recipes, too:
- Molasses Pound Cake
- Molasses Cheesecake Bars
I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy holidays! Enjoy your family time, food, and all your wonderful holiday traditions. I know we will!
Get Dessert Recipes Delivered To Your Inbox
AND A BONUS FREE Baking Substitutions too!
Molasses just feels like the holidays, even when they're over. I know this is kinda weird, but the perfect uniformity of these cookies so soooo soothing.
Things like that are very pleasing to me as well. lol
I love molasses cookies!!! These look perfect.
Julie Clark says
I never thought I liked molasses cookies as a kid....I could've saved myself a lot of calories if I just hadn't tried them! Yours look perfect! 🙂