Do you know what could make donut bread pudding any better? Eggnog! I’ve always been a huge fan of eggnog. I think it’s definitely a flavor that you can either love or hate.
Every year we faithfully buy some eggnog. Normally everyone has a tiny glass. Not this girl. I like to get my fill of it. I go for seconds and thirds. This year I saw some southern comfort eggnog that I have my eye on. Sometime before Christmas eve, some of that liqueur goodness will be coming home with me.
Now I told you that I froze some of of those delicious cake donuts. Say hello to some repurposed cake donut bread pudding. I sliced them up into nice little rounds. Being half frozen made this super easy for me. You could easily let them thaw out and crumble them. That would also work great!
If I wasn’t feeding this delicious eggnog donut bread pudding to children, you can bet your buns I would have put a healthy dose of alcohol in this. You know, to keep your warm and cozy. However, kiddies were involved. I’m okay with that, this recipe came out fantastic!
If you’re looking for a pretty simple recipe to put together to wow your family this holiday, you have to give this eggnog donut bread pudding a try.
- 8 cake donuts
- 1/2 tsp . cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp . freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 4 eggs , lightly beaten
- 2 + 1/2 cups eggnog
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 T . eggnog
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Slice the cake donuts into small rounds.
- In a separate bowl, add in cinnamon, nutmeg, granulated and brown sugar and give it a whisk. This will help prevent your spices from lumping up. Add in the eggs, eggnog, and milk. Stir until combined.
- Spray an 9 1/2 x 9 1/2 x 2 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. place the cake donut slices in the dish. Pour the custard over top and give the donuts a stir to make sure they're all covered.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 2 1/2 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove plastic wrap and place in the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes. Take a peak at the bread pudding. If there is still liquid, it needs a bit longer. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add in the powdered sugar and eggnog. Whisk until the glaze is smooth.
- Pour over the donut bread pudding.
- Place in the fridge for about an hour. Cut and serve.
Are you an eggnog lover? If you are, do you prefer with or without alcohol?