This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HuntsFreshTwists #CollectiveBias
Need a quick salsa to impress the family at the annual get together? This 10 minute Oklahoma Caviar Salsa is what you need!
You know what I love about summer? The family time with not only my hubby and son, but parents and aunts. Oh, and having a reason to throw this amazingly quick salsa together for everyone to rave about. It’s not the traditional salsa, but dare I say BETTER?
I’m not from Oklahoma and I’ve never visited, but long ago a friend of mine introduced me to some Oklahoma Caviar. I just had to have the recipe, but if you know me then you know I lost it probably 10 minutes after getting it. It’s probably stashed away with the two copies of my marriage license and my truck title. Regardless, I’m a recipe developer and I can push on through the loss of a recipe and write up my own. So, I did.
As I was browsing Walmart’s Hunt’s tomatoes selection, I’ve come to realize you can basically get your tomatoes anyway your heart desires. With garlic, sweet onion, petite, fire roasted, fire roasted with garlic and probably 10 more crazy options. Because I’m a huge onion fanatic, my choice was sweet onion, but any of these would do the trick. Throw a little flare into your 10 minute Oklahoma caviar salsa with whatever flavored Hunt’s tomatoes you want.
Before I get too far ahead of myself, let me show you where to find the Hunt’s tomatoes. You’ll want the aisle with the tomato sauce and gravy mixes.
This is my go-to party recipe. This should be a go-to recipe for any procrastinator actually. It’s zesty, spicy, crunchy and quick! I like to chop the vegetables pretty small so I can get a little of each on my chip and you HAVE to have a black eyed pea in every bite. Besides being THE rule, it makes the salsa complete. I also like to watch as my guests try this 10 minute Oklahoma caviar salsa for the first time. It’s never what they expect and they always want the recipe. Well now that it’s on my blog, I’ll be pointing everyone to this post instead of writing it down constantly. Smart thinking, huh?
10 Minute Oklahoma Caviar SalsaPrint Pin It Rate
- 15.5 oz. can black eyed peas drained and rinsed
- (2) 14.5 oz can Hunt's Diced Tomatoes drained
- 2 jalapenos seeds and veins removed and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium green pepper seeds and veins removed and diced
- 1 cup zesty Italian salad dressing
- Using a mesh strainer, drain the rinse the black eyed peas. Add them to a medium bowl.
- Pour the Hunt's Diced Tomatoes into the same strainer. I used the sweet onion diced tomatoes. Give the strainer a couple taps with the side of your hand to remove any extra juice. Add them to the same bowl.
- Add in the finely diced jalopenos, minced garlic, diced onion and pepper.
- Add in the zestly Italian salad dressing and carefully stir the salsa with a spatula. You don't want to mash up your black eyed peas by being rough!
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Serve up the Oklahoma caviar salsa with some chips for any occassion!
Do you have an Ibotta account? If so, I’ve got a deal for you! Buy 3 Hunt’s Tomatoes any variety 6 oz or larger at Walmart and receive $1.00 in your Ibotta account. All 3 products must be purchased on the same shopping trip.