Okay, my friend Kim got a bunch of us together to do a waffle week. So, because desserts are my thing and I have been dreaming of a waffle cake for some time, I just went for it with this pumpkin pie waffle cake. I’m giggling at myself right now because I literally just posted my first dinner..ish recipe two days before this post and here I am all preaching about being a dessert crazed woman. If you’re dying to see what it is, here’s my pizza pull apart bread. Feast your eyes, do it.
It’s only natural that I had to incorporate maple in the recipe since they are waffles. Lucky for me, pumpkin pie and maple are like BFF’s. I only wish I had some of that real maple syrup. The kind that costs a billion dollars, sweet has heck and tastes freaking amazing.
Try to line up the waffles a little better than I did. It would really make cutting the quarters a ton easier. Just a suggestion of course.
- 2 + 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 T . cornstarch
- 1 T . baking powder
- 1/2 tsp . salt
- 3/4 cups brown sugar packed
- 3 tsp . ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp . ground nutmeg
- 1 + 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp . ground clove
- 1 + 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 4 eggs divided
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 T . vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 4 oz . cream cheese room temperature
- 1 tsp . maple extract
- 1 + 1/2 powdered sugar
Butter Pecan Glaze
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- 1 tsp . bourbon
- Heat up your waffle maker.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and clove. Stir to combine.
- Separate the egg yolks and whites.
- Beat the egg whites on high until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Add the buttermilk, egg yolks, melted butter, vanilla bean paste and pumpkin into the dry ingredients. Mix with the hand mixer until incorporated.
- Fold in the stiff egg whites. The mixture will be slighly lumpy.
- Scoop about 3/4 to 1 cup of the batter into the waffle maker. I quickly spread my batter to the edges of the waffle maker before shutting it.
- Let the waffles cook until done. Mine took about 5 minutes to crisp up.
- I layed my waffles out on a piece of wax paper and did not stack them. This was so they didn't get super soft.
- Let the waffles cool completely before stacking them and adding the maple buttercream.
- In a mixing bowl, add butter and cream cheese. Mix on medium/high until smooth and combined.
- Add in the maple extract and powdered sugar. Mix on low until just combined. Turn the mixer to medium/high and beat for another minute until fluffy.
- Place in a disposable bag with a coupler.
- Place a waffle on a cake stand. Pipe a nice layer of buttercream on the top of the waffle. Add another waffle. Repeat with the remaining waffles. I used 5 waffles all together.
- Place in the fridge to chill for about 1 - 2 hours.
Butter Pecan Glaze
- In a small saucepan, add in the butter, brown sugar and chopped pecans. Place over medium heat and let butter melt.
- Let the sugar melt and come together with the butter. Stir occasionally. It will take about 5 - 7 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the bourbon. Stir to combine. It will bubble and get frothy.
- Pour the hot mixture onto the chilled waffles.
- Cut and serve.
If you’re looking for a waffle maker or are just curious as to which one I used, here it is, the Black & Decker waffle maker(aff. link). It was a Christmas present to my hubby from my mama and dad. They know he loves his waffles. 😀
- Cheese & Pear Waffle Appetizer by The Freshman Cook
- Waffled Polenta Crisps with Caponata by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Buckwheat Waffles Benedict by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Churro Waffles by A Nerd Cooks
- Coconut Flour Waffles with Spiced Pineapple Syrup by Aloha Flavor
- Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Pecan Waffles by Rhubarb and Honey
- Orange and Dark Chocolate Waffles by Cookie Monster Cooking
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Stuffed French Toast Waffles by The Spiffy Cookie
- Potato Waffle Eggs Florentine by Eats Well With Others
- Pumpkin Waffle Sandwiches with Apple Butter and Melted Brie by Go Go Go Gourmet
- Brown Sugar Chicken and Waffles by GirlCarnivore
- Cauliflower Cheese Waffles by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken and Spiced Sweet Potato Waffles by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Hummus Waffles with Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomatoes by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mac and Cheese Waffles with Honey Bunches Chicken by Baking In A Tornado
- Sweet & Savoury Sausage & Apple Waffles by Fuchsia Freezer
- Sweet Potato Waffles with Horseradish Sauce by Our Good Life
- Apple Pie Waffles by Spiced
- Banana Split Waffles by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Homemade Waffle Cones by Eva Bakes
- Neapolitan Waffles by Dinner at the Zoo
- Pumpkin Pecan Waffles by Feed Me, Seymour
- Pumpkin Pie Waffle Cake by Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
- Red Velvet Waffles with Bourbon Cherry Syrup & Cream Cheese Drizzle by Cooking In Stilettos
This post contains affiliate links. Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com