I’m a pretty big fan of these OREO crusted orange Fanta cupcakes. They have both a vanilla flavor and orange flavor, which I can’t get enough of. It’s like the OREO cookies and Fanta were meant to be together. The top of the cupcakes were dipped in a thin Fanta glaze to give it an extra boost of orange flavor. It also helped provide the cake with a little extra moisture. I’m always up for a moist cake. Afterwards, I added a cute Halloween colored frosting swirl and made some simple bats with OREO cookies and black candy melts. I seriously couldn’t be happier with these little cupcakes.
My four-year-old loved the little bat cupcake toppers. They took a little time to make, but completely worth it. How often do you get to make a completely edible bat? Only Halloween, so enjoy it. PLUS, little boys go crazy for them. They’ll beg you to take them to any Halloween party that they’re attending. Trust me, it started as soon as he set eyes on them.
The crust on the bottom of the cupcakes add a fun flavor and texture to the cupcakes. I finely ground the OREO cookies with a food processor, but you can just place them in a bag and beat them with a rolling pin until the crumbs are very fine. I found that I enjoy the cookie crumbs very fine otherwise the texture of the cookies and cupcake kind of fight it out.
I headed to Walmart to pick up my supplies for this cupcake. I love being able to do a one stop shop. All the ingredients listed below can be purchased there including the Fanta and the OREO cookies in the Glow-in-the-dark 30 ct packaging. That’s right! Another fun thing for your kiddies. Awesome glow-in-the-dark spiderweb packaging that are great to send to school with the kids.
OREO Crusted Orange Fanta Cupcakes
- 14 OREO cookies
- 2 T . butter melted
- 4 T . Fanta
- 2 T . powdered sugar
- 1 + 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 3 + 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 T . Fanta
- Orange Electric Green and Purple Gel Paste Food Color
- 2 cups black candy melts
- 20 OREO cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line your cupcake pan with liners.
- Place the OREO cookies in a food processor. Pulse on high until the crumbs are very fine.
- Add the butter to the crumbs and mix until combined.
- Add 1 - 2 teaspoons of OREO crumbs to the bottom of each cupcake liners.
- Press the crumbs down. Set pan aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk until combined. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add in the butter and sugar. Mix on medium until light and fluffy. It will become crumbly before it comes together. Keep mixing.
- Add in the vanilla and the eggs one at a time. Scrape the sides before adding the next egg.
- Add in a third of the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Add in half of the Fanta along with the orange gel paste color. Mix until incorporated. Repeat with another third of the flour, the remaining Fanta and the rest of the flour. The batter will be thick.
- Scoop out batter and fill the cupcakes 3/4 full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 24 minutes and remove from oven. Let cool.
- Add the powdered sugar and about 1 teaspoon of the Fanta. Whisk until incorporated.
- Add in the remaining Fanta and whisk in.
- Dip the tops of each cupcake into the glaze. If there is any remaining. spoon it over tops of each cupcake.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the butter, powdered sugar and Fanta. Mix on medium until incorporated. Turn the mixer on high and mix for another 1 to 2 minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Divide the frosting into three bowls. Add gel paste color to each bowl so you'll have orange, purple and green.
- Place the three frostings in a large piping bag with a 1M tip. Make sure all three colors are coming out of the piping bag and pipe swirls on each cupcake.
- Lay down an OREO on a piece of paper. Draw out bat wings for the OREO.
- Cover the piece of paper with parchment paper.
- Over a double boiler, melt the black candy melt. Once completely melted, add the candy melt into a disposable bag. Cut a small hole for the tip.
- Pipe on the parchment paper. Use a toothpick to spread the chocolate around on the wings and make any points sharp.
- Let dry completely.
- Add little ears for the bat on the tops of the OREO cookies. Lay on parchment paper to dry.
- Once the ears and wings are dry, add a dab of candy melt on the sides of the OREO and add the wings on. Let set up and harden.
- Add the little bats on top of each cupcake.
Evette Rios, the host of the CBS show Recipe Rehab is creating custom, Walmart-exclusive recipes that combines both Fanta and OREO products. These recipe are hosted exclusively on the #SpookySnacks social hub. Be sure to head over and check them out. There are a ton of deee-licious recipes.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign up to get my FREE Baking Substitutions and Conversions sheets! Join the 5000 others who are receiving our dessert newsletters and baking challenges.