This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and The Coca-Cola Company. All opinions are mine alone. #ReadyForKickoff #CollectiveBias
It’s football season again and I’m back to making some game day snacks! I made a fresh caprese salsa that I’ll be piling on top of RITZ Crackers for the family to enjoy. Pair it with a Coke Zero and I’m settled in for a lazy day of playing on my phone while the hubby watches some football.
I’ll admit, I’m not much of a football fan. My husband is really into it. He does some yelling, a little cheering, and a bit of napping during the course of a game. I’m in it for the food though. Game day is seriously the perfect excuse to put together an appetizer or dip that you’ve been wanting to make.
Do you remember those game day pulled pork cracker stacks? Game day made me do it.
I like my caprese with less basil. I like the flavor, but find it a bit overpowering in abundance. I see a lot of recipes loaded with basil, but I just can’t. If you like more, by all means add more though. The green sprinkled in really does add to the appeal of the salsa.
Then there’s my favorite part, the balsamic glaze. It is SO delicious. It’s sticky, sweet, and tart. I drizzled a little more of the glaze on my crackers that had the salsa on it to give it an extra bite. My guys aren’t nearly as crazy about it as I am, so I didn’t over do it in the salsa itself. They’re lucky that I’m always thinking of them.
I made a quick trip to Walmart to grab my ingredients to make my caprese salsa, but I was sucked into browsing and brain storming recipes. I love the seasonal section. You know how some people get annoyed when they see holiday related goodies out on the shelves a month or two before the actual holiday? Yeah, I don’t. I get really, really excited. Friends, that’s how I can turn a 10 minute grocery trip into a 2 hour trip.
I did remember to grab my RITZ Crackers, Coke Zero, and the rest of the goodies that I went for. See!
Okay enough chatting, let’s get down to the nitty gritty.
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 T. shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, insides removed and finely chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella, chopped
- 1 T. chopped fresh basil
- Add the balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan over medium heat for about 8 minutes. The balsamic vinegar will become a thick and will be reduced down to 1 tablespoon. Set aside and let cool.
- Add the chopped shallots to a small bowl.
- Cut and remove all of the seeds and juice from the inside of the tomatoes. Finely chop the tomatoes and add to the bowl.
- I placed my mozzarella in the freezer for about 30 minutes before cutting to firm it up. Add the chopped mozzarella into the bowl with the tomatoes and shallots.
- Grab a bunch of fresh basil and cut it using scissors. I left mine in ribbons. I filled up a tablespoon with the fresh basil and threw it in the salsa.
- Stir the ingredients together.
- Add the 1 tablespoon of balsamic glaze to the salsa. It will be really thick once it's cooled. Stir to combine.
- Serve with RITZ Crackers.
Do you need more #ReadyForKickoff inspiration? I’ve got you covered. Click over and check it out!