Say hello to this three milk cake. Inma of la Galletika was our Sept. 2013 Daring Bakers’ hostess and WOW did she bring us something decadent and delicious! Pastel de Tres Leches or Three Milk Cake, creamy yet airy, super moist but not soggy.. just plain delish!
I’m not a huge fan of milk, but this was such a satisfying cake. I have never tasted a cake like this. It has some rum extract added into it and it reminds me so much of butter rum candy that we make for Christmas. Yum! It also kind of reminds me of egg nog. I love egg nog. I want my husband to try some of the cake, so I’m not going to share that little bit of information with him.
I’m so sad that I couldn’t manage to get better pictures. I must have taken about 100 pictures and wasn’t really satisfied with any of them. As you may be able to tell, I love whipped cream. I may have went a little heavy on the whipped cream, but I don’t regret it. There is a little bit of milk on the plate from the cake.
Three Milk Cake
- 12 oz. evaporated milk
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp. rum extract
Filling & Topping
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- canned or fresh fruit
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and place parchment paper on a 9x9 circle or square pan.
- Separate eggs. Place the egg whites in a mixing bowl and mix on medium until the whites form a soft peak meringue. Gradually add in the sugar while the mixer is still going. Keep mixing until the meringue forms stiff peaks.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add in the yolks. Mix for 3-4 minutes on medium speed until the yolks become pale and airy. Add in vanilla and give the yolks a quick mix.
- Pour the yolk mixture over the meringue and fold in. Be careful not to over mix the meringue.
- Sift half the flour into the meringue and fold in. Sift the other half of flour over the meringue and fold in.
- Place the batter into the prepared pan and place into the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until done.
- Let the cake cool. Once the cake is cooled, slice it in half.
- In a medium saucepan, add in the evaporated milk, condensed milk, heavy cream and cinnamon stick. Bring the milk up to boil over medium heat.
- Once the milk comes up to a boil, reduce heat and let it simmer for five minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Once the milk is cooled, add in the rum or rum extract.
- Brush all of the cooled milk over the two sliced of cake. It's best to let the cake rest overnight for it to absorb all of the milk.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream until it comes up to soft peaks. Add in the sugar and continue whipping until the cream forms stiff peaks.
- Place the bottom layer of cake on a cake stand.
- Place a layer of whipped topping and sliced fruit on the bottom layer of cake. Lay the top layer of cake on the filling. Spread the remaining whipped cream on the outside of the cake.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign up to get my FREE Baking Substitutions Sheet! Join the 5000 others who are receiving our dessert newsletters and baking challenges.