Slow cooker chocolate lava cake is simple to make and incredibly decadent. No mixer needed for this crockpot chocolate lava cake recipe, just your hand and a whisk. Whether you want a hot dessert to warm you up in the winter or a dessert that doesn't require your oven being on in the summer, this slow cooker lava cake recipe has got you covered. BONUS: Watch the recipe video tutorial.
You know when you have the serious chocolate craving? This crockpot lava cake will fix that craving for you in one scoop. It seriously has four different kinds of chocolate shoved into it. There's cocoa powder, semi-sweet baking chocolate, fudge sauce, and an entire bag of milk chocolate chips.
And when you think it can't get any better, you find out that this crockpot chocolate lava cake recipe doesn't require a hand mixer or an oven! Whatttt.
I only have 4-quart slow cookers, so that's what I used. Who needs multiple slow cookers? I suppose a food blogger that had a maroon one, but wanted a black one for photos. I also wouldn't mind a white one, but 3 is just too many. Right? Yeah, it definitely is. I'm not doing that.
You may use a bigger crock pot, but the cooking time may differ for you. Watch the ending of the video tutorial to see what the fully cooked chocolate lava cake looks like. It won't be shiny or jiggly in the middle.
I think my crock pot has a hot spot in it. I had one side get crunchy. It was like the edge of a brownie, which isn't my thing, but thank goodness it was only on the edges of the one side. Everything else was the perfect combination of cake and gooey chocolate.
There's only one thing missing from the slow cooker chocolate lava cake; vanilla ice cream. I'm kicking myself for not having it in the house when I made the lava cake recipe. For one, my preferred way to eat ice cream is with cake. For two, it would have made some amazing pictures. It would have been the perfect melty looking mess that I like.
Slow Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe Video Tutorial
I hope this slow cooker chocolate lava cake recipe brings you mouthfuls of happiness!
Slow Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup salted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 8 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 + ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 + ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 11.75 ounces jar hot fudge sauce
- 11.5 ounces bag milk chocolate chips
- In a microwave-safe medium bowl, add in the water and butter. Microwave for 2 and half minutes.
- Once the butter is completely melted, add in the vegetable oil and sour cream. Whisk until sour cream is incorporated.
- Add in the cocoa powder and continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Add in the melted baking chocolate and whisk until it's thoroughly incorporated. (To melt the baking chocolate, break the chocolate up into pieces. Place in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Repeat microwaving for 30 seconds and stirring afterwards until it's completely melted.)
- Add in the vanilla extract and both eggs. Whisk until the eggs are incorporated. Make sure there are no streaks of the egg whites in there. If there is, keep whisking! Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the sugar, flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Whisk to combine the dry ingredients.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture. Stir to combine the chocolate and flour. It will be quite lumpy.
- After the flour is stirred in, grab your whisk and whisk until the mixture is smooth. It may take a minute to get it creamy rather than lumpy.
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. I used my 4 QT slow cooker, but a larger one will work. The cooking times will likely be different with a bigger crock pot. It should cook faster.
- Pour the batter into the prepared slow cooker.
- Add spoonfuls of the hot fudge mixture into the center of the batter. I added all of the fudge sauce.
- Top the batter with half of the bag of milk chocolate chips.
- Cover the slow cooker with a paper towel and place the lid on top.
- Set the crock pot to high and cook for 4 hours or until the center of the cake is set up. You can use a toothpick and make sure the top is set up by inserting it. Moist crumbs are good, cake batter means it's still raw.
- After the cake is done, add the remaining milk chocolate chips. Scoop and serve with ice cream.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)
Other decadent desserts:
This post contains affiliate links. Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.