This Cream Cheese Banana Bread is a moist and delicious banana bread with a thick, dense layer of cream cheese filling in the center. It makes the perfect breakfast, snack, or dessert. Our Cream Cheese Banana Bread is filled with banana flavor and topped with crunchy walnuts for a beautiful finish.
Ingredients for the Banana Bread
- Butter - Real butter is going to give you the best result. You can use a butter substitute if needed. Shortening will make the bread dry and crumbly so I recommend a non-dairy butter if substitution is necessary.
- Granulated Sugar - White sugar. I don't recommend substituting with brown sugar for this recipe.
- Milk - I always use whole milk. The milk adds moisture and flavor for the perfect crumb.
- Vanilla Extract - I love to use a pure vanilla extract such as Rodelle or my homemade vanilla extract.
- Eggs - Use large eggs for this recipe. You'll need a whole egg and one egg yolk for this banana bread recipe.
- Ripe Bananas - The more brown the bananas are the better flavor they will give the bread. Mash the bananas thoroughly to prevent clumps in your bread.
- All-purpose flour - Gives the bread structure.
- Baking soda - This is the leavening agent for the banana bread. It helps the bread to rise.
- Salt - Helps balance the sweetness of the cream cheese banana bread and enhances the flavor.
- Walnuts - While you certainly do not have to add walnuts, the crunch on top is divine and the perfect contrast in texture.
Ingredients for the Cream Cheese Filling
- Cream Cheese - Use a high-quality brand. Generic cream cheese often has filler ingredients so be sure to compare ingredients if you plan to go with a generic. Filler ingredients will change the outcome of the cream cheese banana bread recipe.
- Granulated Sugar - White table sugar.
- All-purpose flour - I prefer King Arthur all-purpose flour, but any brand will work for this recipe, including any gluten-free, one-for-one flour.
- Egg - Use a large egg for the cream cheese filling.
How to Make Cream Cheese Banana Bread
Making our banana bread recipe is a simple quick bread method. Begin by preparing your pan with parchment paper and spray, and preheating your oven. Next, mash your bananas. I like to use a potato masher. Mix all of the liquid bread ingredients and combine thoroughly. Mix the dry ingredients separately and use a hand mixer to get it all mixed up together.
To make the cream cheese filling, soften the cream cheese with your mixer first. It should already be room temperature when you begin. After beating it for a couple of minutes, add the flour and sugar and mix again. Then add the eggs and beat until incorporated.
Layer the bread by putting half of the batter in the prepared loaf pan. Then add the cream cheese filling layer. Spread it out carefully to evenly distribute the yummy goodness. Top with the remaining banana bread batter and spread that out with the back of your spoon evenly as well.
Cover the top with chopped walnuts if desired. Bake your cream cheese banana bread for 50-60 minutes. Allow it to cool for ten minutes before removing it from the pan. Then set it on a cooling rack until it is completely cool or completely gone. Refrigerate any leftovers.
How to Store Cream Cheese Banana Bread
If you will not use all the bread within a few hours, leftovers really should be refrigerated because of the cream cheese. Use an airtight container or plastic zipper baggy of freezer quality for best results. Use it all or freeze it within a few days.
Depending on how much extra bread you have, you may want to freeze individual slices right away. Use freezer-quality bags, airtight containers, or a vacuum sealer for best results. Keep frozen bread slices for up to three months or until you notice freezer burn. Reheat the frozen banana bread slices in a wide-slot toaster or microwave.
Tips for Best Results
Do not remove the bread from your loaf pan right away. Let it cool for ten minutes in the pan and then remove it to a cooling rack to prevent crumbling.
The bread will crumble easily when hot. Wait and let it cool before slicing.
Line the inside of the loaf pan with parchment paper and leave a parchment paper overhang over two sides to use as a handle.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you freeze banana bread with cream cheese filling?
Yes. You could freeze this bread. Make sure to use airtight containers or a vacuum sealing machine for best results. I like to freeze individual slices so that they are grab-and-go for packed lunches or a quick snack.
Does banana bread with cream cheese need to be refrigerated?
Technically, yes this bread should be refrigerated if you have leftovers. However, it is unlikely to go bad sitting on the counter before it is all consumed, at least in this house.
Can I make cream cheese banana bread gluten-free?
Yes. Simply substitute the regular flour in both the bread and the filling with your favorite all-purpose one-for-one gluten-free flour instead.
More Great Quick Bread Recipes
Cream Cheese Banana Bread
Cream Cheese Filling
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick baking spray. Line the inside of the loaf pan with parchment paper and leave a parchment paper overhang over two sides to use as a handle.
- In a large bowl, add in the melted butter, sugar, milk, vanilla extract, whole egg and an additional egg yolk, and mashed bananas. Whisk until incorporated.
- In a small bowl, add in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients. Beat using a hand mixer on medium speed until the flour is incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix in any remaining bits.
Cream Cheese Filling
- In a medium bowl, add in the cream cheese. Mix using a hand mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Add in the sugar and flour. Continue to mix until incorporated.
- Add in the egg and beat until incorporated.
- Pour half of the banana bread batter into the prepared pan. Spread it out evenly into the bottom of the pan.
- Spoon the cream cheese filling on top of the banana bread batter making sure to evenly distribute it.
- Pour the remaining banana bread batter on top of the cream cheese filling and spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the top of the banana bread with chopped walnuts.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick that’s inserted into the center of the banana bread comes out clean.
- Allow the banana bread to cool for 10 minutes before pulling it out of the pan by the parchment paper handles to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)