Cannoli Cupcakes! Need I say more? A delicious vanilla cupcake that is filled with a ricotta cannoli filling, and topped with a rich and creamy mascarpone frosting and sprinkles of mini chocolate chips.
Whether this is a weekday dessert, or a treat for a wedding shower, baby shower, or holiday event. These cannoli cupcakes are one of the best cupcakes I have ever made.
Love Cannoli recipes? Me too, so here are a few more must make cannoli recipe ideas.
Cannoli Cupcake Ingredients
- Granulated Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Ricotta Cheese
- Powdered Sugar
- Mascarpone Cheese
How to make Cannoli Cupcakes
Vanilla Cupcakes: The first step is to make the cupcakes. Do this by whisking together all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and whisk until incorporated. Fill your cupcake liners ¾th the way full and bake as directed in the recipe card featured below.
How to Make Cannoli Filling: While your cupcakes are baking you can work on your cannoli filling. With a stand or hand mixer, you are going to mix up ricotta, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Add in the cinnamon and chocolate chips. Once well mixed, set aside.
How to make Cannoli Frosting: For the frosting, you want to start with the mascarpone and butter. Mix until well combined. Then you will add in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Whip for around a minute until nice and creamy.
How to Assemble Cannoli Cupcakes
- Once the cupcakes are cooled completely, cut out the center, and remove a portion of the cupcake.
- Pipe or spoon in some of your cannoli filling into each cupcake. Then place the cake back on top.
- Grab your mascarpone frosting and pipe onto the cupcake. Then top with mini chocolate chips or mini cannolis.
- Serve and enjoy!
Cannoli Cupcake Toppings
The toppings for these cannoli cupcakes are endless. Here are a few ideas:
- maraschino cherries
- chocolate chips
- chopped pistachio nuts
- mini cannoli
- sliced almonds
- a thin strip of orange rind that's curled
Frequently Asked Questions
The cupcakes need to be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. You will find these cupcakes need to stay refrigerated until they are ready to be served. They will last about 5 days.
Go right ahead and freeze the cupcakes you don't plan to eat. Just place in a freezer container and store for 2-3 months.
Thaw in the fridge overnight or if you want a quick thaw then you can thaw on the counter for an hour. Don't let the cupcakes sit out for more than 2 hours.
Adding more powdered sugar to the frosting will get your frosting to a thicker consistency. Just make sure to add a teaspoon or so at a time, so that you don't do too much at once.
More Cake Recipes
- 4 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and line one cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt to a large mixing bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Add the vegetable oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla to the dry ingredients. Continue to whisk until the batter comes together and is smooth. Don't overmix.
- Fill each cupcake liner about ¾ full with the cake batter.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool for about 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Add the ricotta, powdered sugar, and vanilla to a small bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and cinnamon. Stir until the chocolate chips are evenly distributed. Set aside until ready to use.
- Add the butter and mascarpone to a large mixing bowl. Beat using a hand mixer on medium speed until creamed.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Continue to mix until the powdered sugar is incorporated. Turn the mixer to high and beat until whipped, about 1 minute.
- Add the frosting to a piping bag fitted with the Wilton 1M piping tip.
Assemble the Cannoli Cupcakes
- Cut a small hole out of the center of each cupcake using a paring knife or apple corer. Be sure to not cut all the way through the cupcake.
- Fill each cupcake with 1 tablespoon of cannoli filling and place the top of the cake back on top of the cannoli filling.
- Pipe the frosting on top and garnish with additional mini chocolate chips or a filled mini cannoli.
- Store any leftover cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)