I love Halloween. I love fall. I love candy corn! Okay, so I'm sure you get it. I'm madly in love with everything to do with autumn. The other day my mom and I were reminiscing about our favorite candy giver outers when we went trick or treating as children. Candy giver outer is a technical term. My gram always gave out popcorn with some candy corn in it for her sweet treat. I'm sure no kids ate it other than family.
I decided to try my hand at making my own air popped corn with candy corn sprinkled in it. I decided to add a few more ingredients. Before I knew it, I had the makings for popcorn balls in my pot and pouring it over a sheet pan of neatly laid out air popped corn. I love the flavors of popcorn balls, but I hate biting into them. I hate biting into anything. It's a fear that has come from having two root canals on my front teeth, I'm sure. No, they weren't rotten.
- ½ cup popcorn kernels popped
- ½ cup salted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 8-10 Oreos finely crushed
- ¾ cup candy corn
- Pop the corn kernels in an air popper or on the stove top in a pot.
- Place the popped corn on a large jelly roll pan that is lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the Oreos and candy corn over the popcorn.
- In a large pot, add in butter, sugar, and corn syrup. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Using a candy thermometer, let the mixture come up to 265 degrees. Remove from heat.
- Pour the hot mixture evenly over the popcorn. Give the corn a gentle toss.
- Add sprinkles and let cool to room temperature.
- Place in a bowl and eat down.
Enjoy the Halloween candy popcorn!