I have a big fan of cake pops in the house. Two, actually. So, I thought I would get a little creative with my cake pops. I made little cake pop sandwiches that are delish! These are very rich and so worth the calories. Each bite just makes you say, “MMM.” This is a chocolate lover’s dream. Chocolate cake, chocolate mousse, chocolate ganache, and coated with milk chocolate.
I originally wasn’t going to post this sandwich concoction, but my husband raved about it so much that I figured what-the-heck! It must be blog worthy! So, here we are with cake pop sandwiches. I so desperately want to say cake pop sammies, but I better stick to the real words. I don’t even say sammies when I talk about sandwiches, I guess I just feel the urge.
Let’s get on with this recipe. What do you say?
Cake Pop Sandwiches
Cake pop squares
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttercream
- 1/2 cup buttercream
- 1 cup chocolate mousse
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups coating chocolate
- 2 tsp shortening butter flavored
Cake Pop Squares
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan.
- In a large bowl, place in the cake mix, 3 eggs, 1 cup water, and the 1/2 cup oil. This is what my boxed cake mix called for. If your box calls for different amounts, I would follow the mix you have.
- Whisk together until everything is combined and most of the lumps are gone.
- Pour batter into the greased pan. Bake 35-38 minutes or until done.
- Let cool.
- Crumble the cake mix in a large bowl.
- Add 1 cup of butter cream and mix with your fingers. Mix until all the cake crumbs are coated with buttercream.
- Roll the cake pop mixture between two pieces of parchment paper and place in the fridge to set. Leave in there for at least one hour.
- Cut out squares from the rolled out cake pop mixture. Place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. I just used one of the pieces of parchment paper I used to roll the mixture out with.
- Place in the fridge until the fillings are ready.
- Place the buttercream in a piping bag fixed with a round or star tip.
- Place the chocolate mousse in in another piping bog fixed with a round or star tip.
- In a microwave safe bowl, place the heavy cream. Microwave for 2-3 minutes depending on your microwave. Make sure it's hot.
- In a large bowl, pour in 2 cups of chocolate chips.
- Pour the cream into the chocolate chips and let it sit for a minute.
- Whisk the chocolate and heavy cream together until it is a thick, creamy, chocolate mixture.
- In a medium microwave bowl, place the coating chocolate and shortening in. Microwave in 30 second intervals until chocolate is melted.
- Line the cake pop squares with the buttercream.
- Fill the middle with mousse.
- Place another cake pop square on the top of the buttercream and mousse.
- Place the cake pop sandwiches on a cooling rack.
- Put the cooling rack in a jelly roll pan. Pour a coating of ganache over the sandwich.
- After all of the sandwiches are covered, scrape the extra ganache off the jelly roll pan. You can save it and place it in the fridge for another time.
- Pour a coating of coating chocolate over top of the ganache. Once all of the sandwiches are overed, let them set to harden.
Enjoy the cake pop sandwiches!