I couldn’t resist making some of this strawberry syrup for a few drinks. I picked up some sprite zero to add this delicious syrup to. I keep unsweetened iced tea on hand in the summer time, so I’ve been adding the syrup to my tea also.
I bet this would be delicious in a mixed drink as well. The syrup sits at the bottom and gives a beautiful ombre effect.
The syrup is a highly concentrated so it’s a deep reddish black, but once you dilute it you will see the beautiful red strawberry color.
I kind of got this idea from Ruby Tuesdays. We hadn’t been there in years and thought we would give it a go a few months ago. They only have coke products and I strongly dislike diet coke. So, I ordered myself a raspberry iced tea and at the bottom of my glass was crushed raspberries. When I took a big ol’ slug of my tea, I got this sweet syrup with bits of fresh raspberries in it. It was absolutely wonderful.
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and halved
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- In a medium saucepan, add in the strawberries and sugar. Place over medium heat.
- Crush the strawberries with the back of your spoon. This will help release some of the juices for the syrup. Let the strawberries and sugar cook down for 10 minutes.
- Strain the syrup with a fine mesh strainer. I lined my strainer with a coffee filter and squeezed every last bit of juice out of my strawberries.
- Store in a jar in the fridge.