Many thanks to Mezzetta for sponsoring this post!
Christmas is one of my favorite holidays. Everyone has a certain cheer and jolliness about them this time of the year. Maybe it’s the beautiful music or the spiced scents that fill the air. One thing is for sure, the holiday recipes that we make every year definitely contribute to the spirit.
For me the holidays bring back so many great memories. Of course, a lot of these memories involve festive treats.
I don’t know about everyone else in the world, but on Christmas Eve our family gets together and feasts on all kinds of treats. They range from candies and cookies, to dips and calzones. The tradition has changed slightly over the years. We’ve moved our get-together to my parent’s house since my Gram’s passing. However, some things will never change. For one thing, the love that my Gramma passed down to me and the rest of the family for hot mixed vegetables, cheese, pepperoni, and olives still lives on. Every conversation I think Gramma and I ever had included a heaping plate of these. So the use of these ingredients is a large part of what makes sharing these spicy calzones with my family so special. They always bring the most cherished memories to the table on Christmas eve.
I would love to hear what your favorite holiday memory is!
Do you want to see some of the additions that we like to add in our calzones?
My favorite is the hot mix. It adds the perfect amount of crunch and spice to the calzone. I like to slice the pieces so they layer nicely and still have a nice crunch. It also makes a nice spread, if you throw it in a mini chopper and give it a few zaps. If you’d like to win some of these products, check at the bottom of the post for giveaway details!
It’s a rather easy recipe to put together. I always buy my pizza dough, but you are more than welcome to make your own! Then get your cheese mixture together. Like so.
Give it a stir. Then get all your other ingredients around and your pizza dough cut out. What I love most about using Mezzetta ingredients is that they are simple to add into a recipe.
Next, start layering. Throw it in the oven and voila!
Okay, so there’s a tiny more to it.
- 2 (13.8 oz) rolls of pizza dough
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 + ¾ mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shaved or grated
- 1 egg
- 1 T. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup Mezzetta hot mix vegetables, drained and sliced
- ½ cup Mezzetta mild pepper rings, drained
- ½ cup Mezzetta garlic olives, drained and halved
- ¾ cup sliced pepperoni
- 4 T. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degree. Have a baking sheet on hand to place the prepared calzones on.
- 2 hours to overnight before serving the calzones, add olive oil and garlic to a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate. This will infuse the olive oil.
- In a large bowl, add in the ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan cheese, egg, parsley, 1 tsp. of garlic (I used the pieces out of my infused olive oil), black pepper, and salt. Stir with a spatula until combined.
- Roll out the pre-packaged pizza dough and give it a roll. Make sure it's thin enough to be able to add two 7 -inch circles in it. Place a 7 inch round pan, I used a spring form pan, on one half of the dough and cut around it with a pizza cutter.
- Using a basting brush, brush the side of the dough facing up with the infused olive oil.
- On one half of the dough, add about ⅓ - ½ cup cheese filling, 1 T. hot mix, 4-5 olives and pepper rings, and a layer of pepperoni.
- Stretch the other half slightly to assure that it will cover the mound of filling. Be sure to not go overboard on the filling or the stretching.
- Roll the opened edges and press them with a fork or a spoon if you want scalloped edges.
- Brush on more infused olive oil on the outside of the calzone. Place on the baking sheet and prepare the rest of the calzones.
- Place in the oven for 17-19 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven. Serve with marinara or ranch.
About the Mezzetta Giveaway!
Mezzetta is doing 31 days of giveaways! All it takes is your name, e-mail address, and favorite holiday memory and be sure to enter every day! Each day a winner will be selected at random. Prizes will be shipped within 2 weeks. Click here and head over to the giveaway!
The Holiday Gift Basket (31 Winners – Daily) includes:
• 100% Italian Estate Grown Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• Golden Greek Peperoncini
• Garlic Stuffed Olives
• Castelvetrano Olives
• Pitted Greek Kalamata Olives
• Roasted Marinated Red & Yellow Sweet Bell Peppers
• Cocktail Onions
• 1 Apron (from House Party contents)
• 1 Metal Olive Spoon (from House Party contents)
• 1 Tote Bag (from House Party contents)
• 1 Ceramic Bowl
Mezzetta also would love to offer each one of my reader’s a coupon for $.50 off their products . Head over there to download it!
This post was sponsored by Mezzetta. As always, all opinions are my own.