Who else here is a pecan pie lover? I know that I prefer it to most other pies. The sad part is.. I never had it growing up. We always had pumpkin, apple, and blueberry which exclusively for dad. I missed out all those years. I have to make up for it, right?
It’s okay though. By the time I get to dessert during the holidays, I can barely move off the couch. I think I lost a touch of dignity with that last sentence, but what I was trying to say is that I’m too full to eat dessert.
This isn’t your typical pecan pie though. It’s a hand pie with brie. There was a slight saltiness from the brie that went so well with the sweet pecan pie filling. It also added a bit of richness and a smooth texture. It rounded out the hand pies perfectly.
Be warned, you’ll want to fill these adorable little hand pies right up with brie and pecan pie filling. Do not do it. I repeat, do not do it! It will explode out of the little hand pies and onto your parchment lined baking tray. I get carried away. I’ve said it a few times now, I always think more is better. After getting a little wild with one of them, I learned my lesson.. with these.
I can’t vouch for any new recipes. Trial and error, people!
Pecan and Brie Hand Pies
- 1 pkg pre-made pie crust or home made
- 1/4 cup butter , room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar plus about 2 T. for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 T . vanilla
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces
- 5 oz . creme de brie spreadable cheese (plain brie will work)
- 1 egg , beaten for egg wash.
- Add the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, corn syrup, eggs, and pecans to a large saucepan. Mix until completely combined. Place over medium heat stirring constantly until it comes to a boil. Let boil four 4 minutes until it becomes thick, stirring constantly. when running the spatula on the bottom of the pan, the filling will spread apart and leave a path briefly.
- Add in the vanilla and stir until combined. Let cool for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Generously flour your counter top. Roll out your pie dough to about 1/8 inch thick. Cut out 6 inch circles. I used a small cake pan for mine.
- Spread about 2-3 teaspoons of brie spread on one half of the circle.
- Add about 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of pie filling on top of the brie spread.
- Using a pastry brush, spread egg wash around the edges of the pie crust. Fold over the pie crust so it's half a circle and press the edges down.
- Place the hand pies on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Using a clean fork, press the edges carefully but firmly to seal them. You don't want the filling to leak out!
- Cut steam holes in the top of each hand pie with a knife or fork. I used a fork.
- Use the pastry brush to egg wash to entire top and sides of the hand pies.
- Sprinkle a small amount of granulated sugar on the top of each hand pie.
- Place the cookie sheet with the hand pies in the oven for 20 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
Recipe Notes*Don't stop mixing the pie filling while it's on the stove over heat. It will cook the eggs and give it an egg and maple syrup taste.
Who else feels like as soon as it get colds out you have to bake like mad men and women? Am I just the only one? It’s like November 1st through December 25th I’m flinging cookie dough and cake batter. Don’t let me sound like I’m complaining. I love every single minute of it. 😀
Get your pecans and corn syrup out. It’s time for some pecan and brie hand pies!